New restaurants that have opened or are planning to open in and around the Conejo Valley and Greater Ventura County during the first half of 2014 continues. The Local Buzz section of CVG highlights new eateries along with restaurants that close their doors.
Here's a summary of this activity from January through mid-July 2014. (Click here for previous 2013 activity.) The list is fairly comprehensive but we know it's not 100% complete, so let us know of any we missed!
Consistent with previous reports, the number of new eateries in the area continues to outnumber closed eateries by a large margin.
Restaurants* That Have Opened Since January 2014
- Chocolate Savvy opened at the Simi Valley Town Center on July 7th.
- California Kebab Kitchen opened recently in Moorpark.
- Mediterranean Pita Grill opened June 30th in Westlake Village.
- See's Candies opened a 2nd Conejo Valley location last month at The Promenade at Westlake
- Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar opened a 2nd Ventura County location, at The Collection at RiverPark in Oxnard, on June 12th.
- Urbane Cafe Simi Valley opened on June 5th.
- A new Haagen-Dazs Scoop Shop opened in early June in Westlake Village.
- Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill opened May 31st at The Collection in Oxnard.
- The second Thousand Oaks Chick-fil-A opened on Thursday, May 29th.
- Sesame Garden Chinese Cuisine opened in Camarillo in May.
- Camboni Italian Restaurant & Bar opened at the Thousand Oaks Inn on May 20th.
- Zooza Cafe opened in Westlake Village this past May.
- Malibu Pier Restaurant & Bar opened on May 15th.
- Gandolfo's New York Deli opened a second location in Ventura this past May.
- The French Bulldog Bistro became the Old Town Tavern Camarillo in early May.
- Blue Wasabi Sushi & Asian Bistro opened earlier this year in Thousand Oaks.
- Sabores Peruvian Cafe opened in Old Town Camarillo in the April time frame.
- Garbanzo Healthy Kitchen in Ventura opened in Q1 2014.
- Mama's Hummus opened February 20th in Newbury Park.
- The Local Table opened in Newbury Park on February 4th.
- Akash Cuisine of India opened in Thousand Oaks in January.
- Steve's un-Original Pizza opened at MB2 Raceway Newbury Park in January.
- Dickey's BBQ Pit opened January 1st in Simi Valley
* OK maybe not just restaurants...places that offer up edible items of any type e.g. sweets
Restaurants That Announced They Are Opening Soon
- MOD (Made on Demand) Pizza is coming this September to Newbury Park in the former Baja Fresh location.
- Urbane Cafe is opening yet another location soon, this time in Thousand Oaks.
- Rokabab Mediterranean Grill is coming to Thousand Oaks at some point.
- Dog Haus is coming soon to Thousand Oaks.
- JOi Cafe is coming soon to Westlake Village.
- Lal Mirch Indian Restaurant is opening soon on Kanan Road in Agoura Hills.
- A third Ventura County Dickey's BBQ Pit location is opening in the coming months at the North Ranch Mall in Westlake Village.
- Sharky's Woodfired Mexican Grill to open this Fall at Janss Marketplace.
- Kora Bistro and Sushi Bar "coming soon" to Westlake Village.
- Aroha New Zealand Cuisine will be opening in Westlake Village in a couple months
- Lovi's Delicatessen, Bakery, Restaurant and Bar will be opening at the former location of the Calabasas Red Robin sometime in the near future.
- 9021Pho is in process of relocating from its old Westlake Village location to The Lakes at Thousand Oaks sometime soon.
- PizzaRev "Craft Your Own" Pizza is opening a new location this Fall at the Camarillo Premium Outlets, as are Chipotle and Yogurtland.
- The Westlake Plaza is being renovated and new eateries coming include Pitfire Pizza, Mendocino Farms Sandwich Market, Pressed Juicery and Le Pain Quotidien and Ice Cream Lab.
- Sabra Fish Grill is opening sometime this year at The Collection at RiverPark in Oxnard. Also in the works at The Collection is Maria's Italian Kitchen Pronto, Larsen's Grill and a Ben & Jerry's.
- There's been a sign up at the old Greenhouse Cafe in Thousand Oaks indicating Stir Krazy Mongolian Grill is "coming soon" since April, but no updates since then.
- Slated to open at The Shoppes at Westlake Village over the coming months are Greens Up!, Los Agaves Restaurant, In N Out Burger, Olio e Limone Ristorante, Olio Pizzeria, Hook Burger, Jeannine's Bakery & Restaurant, Which Wich® Superior Sandwiches, Bowl of Heaven Acai Bowls, The Gallery Seafood and Figueroa Mountain Brewing.
- Cronies Sports Grill announced they will be opening a fifth location in Agoura Hills later this year (in the former home of Angel Cafe).
Restaurants That Have Closed Since January
- Angel Cafe Pizza & Pasta in Agoura Hills closed its doors in January.
- Camarillo International Supermarket & Restaurant closed for business early this year.
- Brats Brothers in Newbury Park closed for business on Friday, February 7th.
- Los Agaves Mexican Grill closed its doors for the second time earlier this year in Thousand Oaks
- Claim Jumper closed forever on Sunday, February 23rd after nine years in Thousand Oaks. We subsequently learned that Lassen's Natural Foods will be moving into that spot later this year.
- California Crisp Cafe closed its doors in Westlake Village earlier this year.
- The Moorpark Viva La Pasta location closed its doors earlier this year too.
- The Grill Restaurant & Bar (previously called California Grill) closed in April
- As mentioned above, The French Bulldog (previously JJ Brewsky's) closed on April 14th but was renovated and became The Old Town Tavern soon thereafter.
- On June 8th, N'Awlinz Bistro closed its Downtown Oxnard location to focus solely on catering.
- The Elephant Bar in Simi Valley closed its doors on June 12th.
- The WineYard in Thousand Oaks closed its doors on June 19th.
- Bellavino Wine Bar in Thousand Oaks closed its doors recently