The City of Agoura Hills incorporated in 1982 and is part of Los Angeles County. But we consider Agoura to be part of our family, consisting of Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Oak Park and other communities that form the Conejo Valley.
Agoura Hills has an area of 7.86 square miles, with a population just under 21,000. It became the 83rd city in Los Angeles County when residents voted to incorporate, just one year after neighboring city Westlake Village incorporated.
Here is a compilation of things to do in the City of Agoura Hills.
Trails and Hiking
- Malibu Creek State Park is an 8,000 acre wonderland of awesome trails, hiking, camping and other outdoor activities.
- Cheeseboro/Palo Comado Canyons include 4,000 acres of hiking pleasure in the northernmost section of the Santa Monica Mountain range. Popular with cyclists, runners and hikers.
- Paramount Ranch, maintained by the National Park Service on Cornell Road in Agoura Hills, was used by Paramount Pictures for over 80 years of film and television production. Another local must-see.
- The 64 acre Peter Strauss Ranch in Agoura Hills is also managed by the National Park Service and features hiking and an outdoor amphitheater area.
- The Play Destination is an indoor playground geared towards 6 and under.
- OK...Kids World Indoor Playground is technically in Oak Park but hey, we'll list it here as it is so, so close to Agoura Hills and is quite popular.
- We Rock the Spectrum is a kids gym located on Canwood Street in Agoura Hills which has a particular emphasis on sensory based play.
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Conejo Valley host several middle school age club in Agoura Hills.
- A compilation of other kids' activities in Agoura HIlls, including local sports groups, is at THIS LINK.
- The Agoura Hills/Calabasas Community Center is a 30,000 square foot facility with basketball courts, fitness studio, 35 foot rock climbing wall, dance/exercise studio, kids' programs and more. Technically in Calabasas on Malibu Hills Road but open to all.
- Looking for some fresh air on the golf course but don't golf? That's ok, try FootGolf at the Lindero Country Club in Agoura Hills. Quite fun and no experience necessary.
- Other fitness and sports activities in Agoura Hills compiled at THIS LINK.
Other Entertainment, Things to Do and Annual Events
- Regency Agoura Hills 8 Movie theater on Agoura Road
- The Canyon Club is the "go to" place for a wide variety of great performers.
- Whizin Market Square on Roadside Drive is a collection of eateries and unique stores, including antique stores and more.
- The Reyes Adobe Historical Site in the heart of Agoura Hills is the first home built in the area, dating back to 1850. The City owns and maintains this adobe structure as a museum and cultural center, with an adjoining park. A local must see.
- The Annual Reyes Adobe Days Fall Festival takes place in October of each year at the Reyes Adobe Historical Site and Park. Great family fun.
- Troutdale is a local fishing pond for those looking for the experience of fishing but without the hassle of driving far! Located just off of Kanan Road, near Triunfo Canyon.
- Based in Agoura Hills, California Dance Theatre's Pacific Festival Ballet is the resident ballet company of the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza.
- Water Wings Swim School is an indoor facility located in the Agoura Hills Town Center on Agoura Road.
- The Agoura Hills Library is a nearly 18,000 square foot facility near Agoura City Hall. It is part of the County of Los Angeles Public Library System.
- The Topanga Banjo-Fiddle Contest & Folk Festival is the 3rd Sunday in May and has been hosted for a number of years at Paramount Ranch in Agoura Hills. Lot of fun at this event that has been taking place since 1961.
- The Great Race of Agoura Hills is the largest annual running/walking event in the Conejo Valley, an assortment of 7 races on road and trails ranging from a family fun run to a 5K, 10K and two half marathons. Run in the March/April time frame each year.
- For other events in Agoura Hills, visit THIS LINK.