Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It is a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union. The second Labor Day holiday was on September 5, 1883. In 1884 the first Monday in September was selected as the holiday.
Oregon was the first state to officially enact Labor Day as a holiday by law on February 21, 1887, followed that year by Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. Since then, all 50 states have made Labor Day a state holiday.
So what's going on in Ventura County over Labor Day Weekend 2016!? Here's a sampling from the CVG Events Calendar:
- 35th Annual Malibu Kiwanis Chili Cook-Off, Carnival and Fair (Fri-Sun)
- 14th Annual Ventura Nationals Car and Motorcycle Show on Saturday
- Rock on the Dock Free Concert Series at Ventura Harbor Village on Saturday
- Aloha Beach Festival in Ventura on Sat/Sun
- C Street Longboard Classic in Ventura on Sat/Sun
- Music Under the Stars at the Olivas Adobe on Sat night
- Blue Sun Music and Wine Festival in Westlake Village on Saturday
- Free live jazz Sat night at Simi Civic Center Plaza
- Coachmen Cruise Night Sat night at Simi Valley Town Center
- Fairy Tales in the Park in Westlake Village, Simi Valley and Channel Islands Harbor
- 8th Annual Camarillo Chili Cook-Off & Music Festival on Sunday
- Aviation Museum of Santa Paula Open to the Public on Sunday
- 12th Annual Santa Paula Labor Day Parade on Monday
- 4th Annual Labor Day Vintage Tractor Fair on Monday at Santa Paula Ag Museum
- Free Concert in Thousand Oaks on Monday (Hollywood U2 - U2 tribute)
This is just a sampling of going on this Labor Day weekend! Or how about taking a hike on one of dozens of trails in and around Ventura County!