Camarillo Ranch House in Oil Paint by Artist Linda Dark

Long-time resident and artist Linda Dark enjoys capturing local Camarillo scenes in oil paint. 

Built in 1892, the Camarillo Ranch House is a grand, three-story, 15-room home built by Adolfo Camarillo in the Queen Anne Victorian style. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in February 2003.  Dark captures this local icon on a partly cloudy day.

I had taken this photo of the Camarillo Ranch House, independent of Linda, on another, conveniently partially-cloudy day.

To reach Linda, contact us.

Rolling Pin Donuts in Camarillo Captured in Oil Painting by Local Artist

Rolling Pin Donuts in Camarillo (Artist: Linda Dark)

Rolling Pin Donuts in Camarillo (Artist: Linda Dark)

Long-time Camarillo resident and artist Linda Dark enjoys capturing local scenes in oil paint. Rolling Pin Donuts has operated at 2153 Las Posas Road since 1992 and has quite a loyal following at this stand-alone location. Dark has lived in Camarillo since 1978 and recalls it was previously called Donna Lee Donuts.

Have a donut craving? Rolling Pin is open from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily. You'll want to stop by for sure after checking out their creations at www.facebook.com/RollingPinCamarillo.

RollingPin_photo.jpg
Rolling Pin Donuts on Rainy Day (Artist: Linda Dark)

Rolling Pin Donuts on Rainy Day (Artist: Linda Dark)

Conejo Public Art "Conejo Cottontails" Project "Rabbit at Sunset" in Westlake Village

Conejo Public Art is a community art project organized by Art Trek and the Arts Council of the Conejo Valley.  "Conejo Cottontails" is a public art project where sponsors purchase 5' 6" cottontail rabbit that are painted by local artists and displayed to the community.

Coniglio al Tramonto "Rabbit at Sunset" at The Shoppes at Westlake

Coniglio al Tramonto "Rabbit at Sunset" at The Shoppes at Westlake

Coniglio al Tramonto "Rabbit at Sunset" was painted by Wendy Jann & Jennifer Sutman and is located at The Shoppes at Westlake in Westlake Village, adjacent to the fountain. This art piece premiered in August 2016.

A new Conejo Cottontail, "Art of the Tango," was placed at The Stonehaus in Westlake Village in April 2017.

Learn more about the Conejo Public Art project at www.conejopublicart.org.

Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe Captured in Oil Painting by Local Artist, Linda Dark

Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe is located in Old Town Camarillo at 2344 Ventura Boulevard, serving home-style breakfast and lunch Monday through Saturday. Their phone number is 805.987.2167.

Linda Dark is an artist has lived in Camarillo since 1978. She enjoys capturing local landmarks in oil on canvas, including her latest work piece above. Check out her work at www.camarillolandmarks.com.

The Chuck Wagon Cafe has been here for quite some time. According to the Pleasant Valley Historical Society, the building was built in 1944 and was owned by Larry Logue, who opened Larry's Malt Shop in 1946. It soon became Carmen's Snack Bar, owned by Ed and Carmen Quinn. Dorothy Johnson took over as new owner in 1983.

OldestRestaurants.com has a compilation of the oldest restaurants that are still in operation at the same location in California. Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe is one of the oldest eateries in Ventura County, following the Golden Chicken Inn in Oxnard (the oldest still standing restaurant in Ventura County; founded in 1929) and Familia Diaz in Santa Paula (1936).

Also on that list as opening in 1946 are Casa Escobar (which closed its Westlake Village location last Fall) and El Tecolote in Camarillo.

A more recent view of Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe.

A more recent view of Dorothy's Chuck Wagon Cafe.

Another Rendering of the Camarillo Ranch House by Artist Linda Dark

Camarillo resident and artist Linda Dark enjoys capturing local Camarillo scenes in oil paint.  Some of her work is showcased at www.camarillolandmarks.com

Built in 1892, the Camarillo Ranch House is a grand, three-story, 15-room home built by Adolfo Camarillo in the Queen Anne Victorian style. Here she captures a frontal view of this landmark. A previous piece by Dark from the southeast is displayed here.

"Sitting Pretty: Portrait Photography" Exhibit at Museum of Ventura County Aug 22 to Nov 29

Dr. Manual Antonio Rodriguez de Poli (MVC Collection)

Dr. Manual Antonio Rodriguez de Poli (MVC Collection)

Sitting Pretty: Portrait Photography from the Salon to the Selfie features long-hidden treasures from the Museum of Ventura County’s collection of photographic and painted portraits.  It will open on August 22nd and will be on display through November 29, 2015. 

Formal, framed portraits of well-known city pioneers, such as Dr. Cephas Bard, Dr. Manuel R. de Poli and Mrs. Concepcion Sepulveda de la Guerra, as well as lesser-known names were culled from the Museum’s storied permanent holdings.  The works on view range from elaborately framed formal portraits to light-hearted depictions of children, many of which are from the studio of John Calvin Brewster, a Ventura portraitist who established a studio on Main Street in 1875. The exhibit also offers a chance to see rare daguerreotypes, ambrotypes and tintypes, including one of Jose de la Rosa, the first notable California printer who settled in San Buenaventura in 1880.

The range of photographic processes shown in the more than 30 works spanning 120 years, explores the technical evolution of photography.  The advent of the roll film camera and digital technology have changed the roles of the professional portrait photographer. Also, the relative affordability of the photo gave a broader range of people the opportunity to own an image of themselves and loved ones, a luxury previously reserved for the wealthy who could afford to commission an artist to render a painting.

The current “selfie” craze makes everyone a photographer in the moment, without replacing the need for the trained photographer who has something we could never have—objectivity. 

The Museum of Ventura County is located at 100 E. Main Street, Ventura. Visit www.venturamuseum.org for more information.

Dr. Cephas Bard (MVC Collection)

Dr. Cephas Bard (MVC Collection)

California Museum of Art Thousand Oaks Operations Center Located Next to Civic Arts Plaza

NOTE: CMATO moved to a new location at The Oaks mall in Thousand Oaks in November 2018.

CMATO Operations Center

The California Museum of Art Thousand Oaks (CMATO) will provide a world-class cultural experience for visitors and locals alike. Artists, educators, lovers of art, tourists, students and the general public will appreciate the world-class exhibitions of paintings, sculpture, photography, music, drama and dance. CMATO will be located at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza west of City Hall and the Performing Arts Center.

Earlier in 2015, CMATO moved into 1948 Thousand Oaks Boulevard, an interim museum space in what was formerly a Taco Bell location (and more recently a wine store).  The space is being remodeled to create a small multi-purpose gallery in the front portion of the building and office space area in the back. 

The space will provide a place to plan and gain support for the permanent CMATO, which over the next three to five years is in pre-construction phase of development.

CMATO is constantly seeking new members and donors to as they work towards bringing a world-class art venue to the Conejo Valley and the entire region. To learn more, visit www.cmato.org