Ventura County Area Listings in the National Register of Historic Places

NationalRegisterHistoricPlaces.jpg

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect America's historic and archaeological resources.

There are over 80,000 listings in the National Register in five general categories: building, structure, site, district and object.

To be considered eligible for the Register, a property must meet the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. This involves examining the property’s age (generally at least 50 years old), integrity and significance.

To learn more about the National Register of Historic Places and to search its database, visit www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalregister/index.htm.

Now let's highlight Ventura County area properties listed in the Register as of July 2019. Most of these you can visit (links provided where applicable):

Other nearby historic places:

A Drive Down the Historic Norwegian Grade in Thousand Oaks

The Historic Norwegian Grade was originally built by hand and $60 worth of dynamite in the early 1900s by the founding Norwegian families, Olsen, Pedersen and others. The top of the grade to Santa Rosa Road is about a mile and a half. The two lane road was improved in 2010 to make it slightly wider and improve the guard rail and signage. More history at THIS LINK.

The Stagecoach Inn in Newbury Park is Ventura County Historical Landmark No. 30

StagecoachInnPic.jpg

Ventura County Historical Landmark No. 30 is the Stagecoach Inn in Newbury Park. The Stagecoach Inn Museum was originally built as the Grand Union Hotel in 1876 at the southwest corner of what is now Ventu Park Road and the Ventura Freeway. In 1965 it was relocated to its current location at 51 South Ventu Park Road (near the Lynn Road intersection) due to construction of the freeway.

The Inn is a Monterey style redwood structure with a wraparound porch and balcony. The original structure served as a school, post office, steakhouse, church, gift shop and movie set. After it was destroyed by a fire in 1970, the Stagecoach Inn was completely rebuilt and dedicated on July 4, 1976.

Situated on four acres, The Stagecoach Inn Museum site also houses a Chumash Indian hut, an early California Spanish adobe, a three-room pioneer house, blacksmith shop and a collection of vintage items, both inside the Inn and outdoors. Inside the Inn, each room is adorned with antique furniture, dolls, toys, household items and other collections and memorabilia. Behind the Museum is a fun to explore nature trail and stream.

The Inn is also California Registered Historical Landmark No. 659 and was named to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1975.

StagecoachInn_Sign.jpg

Adjacent to the Museum is the 4.9 acre Stagecoach Inn Park, with a large grassy area, full basketball court, stagecoach themed play area and three picnic tables and grills. This is a neighborhood park developed by the Conejo Recreation and Park District in 1985. There are no restrooms at this park.

Stagecoach themed play area at Stagecoach Inn Park adjacent to the Museum.

Stagecoach themed play area at Stagecoach Inn Park adjacent to the Museum.

Don't forget the horsies!

Don't forget the horsies!

In addition to year-round docent-led tours, The Stagecoach Inn Museum frequently hosts special events, including holiday gatherings, Conejo Valley Historical Society meetings and events, antique fairs and more. It is also a popular venue for weddings.

The Stagecoach Inn Museum is located at 51 South Ventu Park Road, Newbury Park.  Open for docent-led tours Wednesday through Sunday from 1-4PM (entire complex open Sat/Sun). $5 adults, $4 62+ and 13-21, $2 ages 5-12 (as of May 2019)

Call 805.498.9441 or visit www.stagecoachmuseum.org to learn more.

The Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard is a Ventura County Crown Jewel

DSC01540.JPG

The 46,000 square foot Mullin Automotive Museum in Downtown Oxnard is spectacular!

Open only a few days a month to the general public, this is one museum that is a MUST SEE. The autos, made by Bugatti, Voisin, Delahaye, Delage, Talbot-Labo, Hispano-Suiza, Renault, Peugeot and others, are works of art from the 1930s and 1940s, when autos were more than transportation. In addition to the autos, there are representative furnishings and works of art from the era on display.

Mullin10.JPG

Visit www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com and reserve a visit. The photos and video footage below are great but don't come anywhere close to a visit in person!

MullinApr18_1.JPG
DSC01547.JPG
2012-07-14_11-05-22_523.jpg
2012-07-14_11-16-09_640.jpg

Oakbrook Regional Park Archaeological Area in Thousand Oaks is City Historical Landmark #5

NOTE: THE GROUNDS OF OAKBROOK REGIONAL PARK WERE SEVERELY DAMAGED BY THE WOOLSEY FIRE OF NOVEMBER 2018. AS A RESULT, THE GROUNDS HAVE BEEN CLOSED. A GOFUNDME FUNDRAISER HAS BEEN ESTABILISHED AT www.gofundme.com/chumash-indian-museum-wildfire-fund TO HELP RAISE FUNDS TO REBUILD.

Oakbrook Regional Park Archaeological Area is located at 3290 Lang Ranch Parkway in Thousand Oaks, south of the intersection of Avenida de los Arboles and Westlake Boulevard.

This 428 acre park is a designated historical landmark by the City of Thousand Oaks and County of Ventura. The Chumash people inhabited this area going back as far as 12,000 years ago through the last 1800's. 

The park grounds are open to the public daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.  There are flat hiking trails and a Chumash village reproduction available to explore. The oak trees provide a beautiful canopy for hikers. It is a peaceful place worth exploring. Note that dogs are prohibited from the property.

Located on the property is the Chumash Indian Museum, which contains a large collection of Chumash artifacts. The museum is open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Camarillo Ranch House in Oil Paint by Artist Linda Dark

Long-time resident and artist Linda Dark enjoys capturing local Camarillo scenes in oil paint. 

Built in 1892, the Camarillo Ranch House is a grand, three-story, 15-room home built by Adolfo Camarillo in the Queen Anne Victorian style. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in February 2003.  Dark captures this local icon on a partly cloudy day.

I had taken this photo of the Camarillo Ranch House, independent of Linda, on another, conveniently partially-cloudy day.

To reach Linda, contact us.

The Historic Elizabeth Bard Memorial Building in Downtown Ventura

Elizabeth Bard Memorial Building in Downtown Ventura is on the  National Register of Historic Places .

Elizabeth Bard Memorial Building in Downtown Ventura is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Elizabeth Bard Memorial Building is located at Fir and Poli Streets in Ventura. Built in 1901, it operated as the Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital for 30 years. This building, listed as a Ventura Historic Landmark and added to the coveted National Register of Historic Places in 1977, is a Mission Revival structure featuring covered terraces and a covered porch with a three-story bell tower at the southeast corner.

In 1932 the building was sold to the County of Ventura and was used as county offices and as a detention facility. Eventually it fell into disrepair and was sold to private investors in 1982, after which it was extensively renovated...but the external facades were preserved.

Now it is home to a variety of businesses. Yours truly worked in this building for about a year many years ago. Great location! Close to the Ventura Botantical Gardens Trail, which is making a comeback from the Thomas Fire of 2017.

While the building is not open to the general public (unless you are visiting one of the businesses located in it), it is worth admiring this beautiful and historic part of Ventura County.

Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital in 1910.

Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital in 1910.