Memorial Day is a holiday to remember those who died while serving in the armed forces. Memorial Day was declared a national holiday by an act of Congress in 1971, but its beginnings go back to after the Civil War in 1868.
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, cities in the North and South claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day in 1866. But in 1966, Congress and President Lyndon B. Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y. as the birthplace of Memorial Day.
Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day.
Traditionally, Memorial Day was May 30th each year but that was changed to the last Monday in May with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act signed into law in June 1968 and put into effect in 1971.
In 2000, the National Moment of Remembrance Act was enacted by Congress to ask Americans to pause in an act of national unity at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day.
Here is a compilation of activities and events this 2018 Memorial Day weekend around Ventura County and adjacent areas.
- Sat-Mon: I Madonnari Italian Street Painting Festival at Santa Barbara Mission
- Sat/Sun: 41st Annual Ojai Art in the Park
- Sat/Sun: Arts Alive Art Festival at Studio Channel Islands in Camarillo
- Sat/Sun: Simi Valley Cajun and Blues Music Festival
- Sun: Malibu Cars and Coffee Event
- Sun: Malibu Lagoon Birdwatching Hosted by Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society
- Mon: Memorial Day Observances:
- Mon: Thousand Oaks Summer Concert in the Park: Queen Nation
These are just some highlights...there's more in the CVG Events Calendar.