29th Annual Memorial Day Ceremony Scheduled for May 27th at Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks Memorial Park
Community members are encouraged to bring their old cell phones and donate them to the Cell Phones for Soldiers campaign.
Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks-Griffin Memorial Park, a Dignity® provider, will host its 29th Annual Memorial Day Remembrance on May 27. The Air National Guard Band of the West Coast will provide a pre-ceremony concert starting at 10:30 a.m. The free event takes place in the Garden of Valor at Pierce Brothers, 5600 Lindero Canyon Rd., in Westlake Village.
“We are proud to host this important event and to provide a place for our community to gather and remember those who gave their lives for our country,” said Tamara Eacker, general manager of Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks-Griffin Memorial Park. “We hope that all who mourn can find peace as we honor their loved ones.”
The traditional Avenue of Flags will greet guests, and complement the more than 1,400 flags adorning the graves of our fallen veterans. These individual flags will be placed by local Scouts on May 25.
The event begins with an assembly bugle call and fly over. The ceremony includes:
• The 23rd Marines Color Guard
• Jerry Knotts, Colonel, USAF, (Ret), Executive Director/Producer and Commander, Conejo Valley Chapter, Military Order of the World Wars
• Robert Melsness, Colonel, USAF, (Ret), past president of Conejo-Simi Valley Chapter, Military Officers Association of America (MOAA)
• Major Gary Dickey, Deputy Chaplain, CA Wing, Civil Air Patrol Chaplain Corps / USAF Auxiliary
• Representatives from all five branches of services, Veterans of Foreign Wars
• Piper Wally Boggess and The Memorial Day Choir, comprised of singers from the Village Voices Chorale, the United Methodist Church of Westlake Village, Valley Harmony Singers, Emmanuel Presbyterian Church, Temple Judea, and the Forever Young Singers. Gloria Hilliard will direct.
Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks will have boxes for donations to Cell Phones for Soldiers near the refreshment tables. Guests are encouraged to donate gently used phones and accessories, which are recycled to provide cost-free communication services to active duty military members and veterans.
For information on the Memorial Day ceremony or about Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks-Griffin Memorial Park, please call 818.889.0902.
The Memorial Day Ceremony is produced by members of the Conejo Valley Chapter Military Order of the World Wars, the Conejo-Simi Valley Chapter of the Military Officers Association of America, the DiRaimondo Chapter No. 750 of the Military Order of the Purple Hear, the Eric Huberth Post No. 1139 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the 23rd Marines, 2nd Battalion, Camarillo Composite Squadron 61, Group 4, California Wing, USAF Civil Air Patrol, Village Voices Chorale, United Methodist Church of Westlake Village, Emmanuel Presbyterian Church, Temple Judea, The Valley Harmony Singers, Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks-Griffin Memorial Park, and other civic-minded individuals and organizations.
About Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks-Griffin Memorial Park
Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks-Griffin Memorial Park, Mortuary and Crematory, FD 1344 Westlake Village, Calif., is a proud Dignity Memorial provider. The Dignity Memorial network of more than 1,800 funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers is North America’s most trusted resource for funeral and memorialization services. Dignity Memorial providers offer an unmatched combination of products and locations serving families with care, integrity, respect and service excellence. For more information, call (818) 889-0902 or visit http://www.piercebrothersvalleyoaks.com.