Saved by Cloud Cover in Mid July

Yesterday I spent the day in Santa Barbara with the kids at the Museum of Natural History and didn't get home until late. I was pretty tired and started falling asleep at 9:30 p.m. while reading a story to my 4 year old. But I managed to catch a second wind and ended up messing around on the computer and watching a show until...(gulp)...2:30 a.m.

That wouldn't have been so bad had I not had a plan to run long in the morning. But in my old age (soon to be 46), I've lost a bit of my self motivation when it comes to getting to bed on time. Hey, I'm a busy guy. I enjoy to many things and thus, my sleep takes a hit.

This is not healthy for sure and I'm probably taking years off my life with my miserable 5 to 6 hours a night of sleep. But I don't blame anyone but myself. In fact, it's 10 p.m right now and I should be in bed as I have an early morning flight out of LAX, but feel compelled to write this instead.

So in any case, in the back of my mind I was hoping for a continuation of the unusual weather pattern we've had all July....massive cloud cover in the morning here in Ventura County, lingering into the afternoon. Luckily this played out once again today.

I was up at 7:45 a.m. off of 5 hours sleep and decided I had to make a go of it. So within 5 minutes I had my hat, watch, beverages and gels ready to go. My pre-race consumption was half a bottle of water and one pack of gel. Yum. My goal was to go around 1 hour, 40 minutes, or about 10 minute longer than my previous long run of the year.

Mission accomplished. I plowed away, not particularly fast, but without any pain, aches or complaints. It actually felt good.  One hour, 39 minutes, about 14 miles. I could have run longer. I attribute the success of today's run to cloud cover and mid 60s temps for the duration of the run. Had I encountered full blown sun and 80 degree heat more expected for an 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. run mid-July, I don't think the run would have been so pleasurable.

So today I had my cake and ate it too. I stayed up way later than I should have and survived with a smile on my face my longest run since my last marathon on December 6, 2009. Rolling with the punches. Next long run I'm likely to encounter I'll definitely have to get to bed EARLIER so I can wake up and beat the heat.

I felt so good today that later in the day I stopped by the gym for one of my Conejo Joe Signature 20 Minute Workouts.  What a great day of fitness. Tomorrow unfortunately I'll be on an airplane for most of the day...which means an opportunity to catch up on my sleep!!