Hazardous Waste Disposal and Recycling Programs in Ventura County


The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) website highlights common products that we use in our daily lives that contain potentially hazardous ingredients, thus requiring special care when disposed of.

Items that are banned from the trash are as follows:

Lights, Batteries and Electronics

  • Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes ("old school" incandescent bulbs can be thrown in the trash.). Remember that LED light bulbs and holiday light strands are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly.

  • Batteries of all types and sizes, AAA, AA, C, D, button cell, 9-volt, etc., both rechargeable and single use, as well as lead-acid batteries such as car batteries

  • Computer and television monitors including cathode ray tube (CRT), liquid crystal diode (LCD), and plasma monitors

  • Electronic devices including computers, printers, VCRs, cell phones, telephones, radios and microwave ovens

Household and Landscape Chemicals

household waste.jpg
  • Flammables and poisons such as oil-based paints and reactive and explosive materials

  • Acids, oxidizers, and bases including some pool chemicals and cleaners

  • Pesticides and herbicides

  • Paints and Solvents - latex paint, oil-based paint, non-empty aerosol paint and solvent cans, and solvents such as paint thinners, nail polish remover, etc.

  • Building materials that contain asbestos and wood treated with chromium copper arsenate.

  • Automobile items including antifreeze, batteries, motor oil and filters and tires (tires are not considered hazardous but are banned from the trash for other reasons)

  • Items Containing Mercury including electrical switches and relays in old appliances, old style thermostats, pilot light sensors in some gas appliances, some gauges and mercury thermometers

  • Other items such as propane tanks, hypodermic needles, syringes, expired/unwanted medications etc.

So what to do with these items? Recycle and reuse them! Here are some local Ventura County resident options:

The City of Thousand Oaks has a Hazardous Waste Disposal drop-off program at THIS LINK.

City of Thousand Oaks battery recycling centers at THIS LINK. Dropoff options as of September 2019 include Borchard Community Park (front entrance), Dos Vientos Community Center (front lobby), Goebel Senior Center (front lobby), T.O. Library (both entrances), Newbury Park Library (front entrance), T.O. City Hall (front entrance), T.O. Community Center (front entrance) and T.O. Transportation Center (lobby).

Thousand Oaks area computer and electronics recycling centers at THIS LINK.

Unwanted and/or expired medications can be dropped off throughout Ventura County at designated police stations. Details at THIS LINK.

City of Simi Valley hazardous Waste Drop-Off Program on six Saturdays per year at THIS LINK.

City of Simi Valley household battery recycling options at THIS LINK includes Simi Valley Public Library, G.I. Industries/Waste Management and Anderson Rubbish.

City of Camarillo twice a month hazardous waste drop-off events at THIS LINK.

City of Camarillo battery recycling options at THIS LINK (pdf doc) includes B&B Do-It Center, Camarillo Library, City Hall, Gold Coast Recycling and Camarillo Senior Center.

Cities of Oxnard and Port Hueneme household hazardous waste collection events www.oxnard.org/household-hazardous-waste

Cities of Oxnard and Port Hueneme Antifreeze, Batteries, Oil and Paint Recycling www.ci.port-hueneme.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=1022

City of Moorpark hazardous waste drop-off events www.moorparkca.gov/150/Hazardous-Waste

Ventura County needle collection facilities crma.org/home-generated-sharps

City of Ventura hazardous waste collection events www.cityofventura.net/HHW

City of Ojai hazardous waste collection options at THIS LINK (pdf doc)

Cities of Santa Paula and Fillmore hazardous waste collection and battery recycling www.ci.santa-paula.ca.us/PubWorks/Recycling-WasteManagement.pdf

Hazardous waste collection in Agoura, Calabasas and Malibu at THIS LINK.