The American Red Cross is the nation’s largest blood collection organization, supplying approximately 40 percent of the blood and blood products used in the United States.
There is a constant need for blood in our society. Donated blood benefits accident victims, cancer patients, surgical candidates, children with blood disorders and many others. Consider donating blood if you are looking to make a difference in the lives of others.
Facts about the blood supply (courtesy of the American Red Cross):
- Nearly 16 million blood donations are collected annually in the U.S.
- There are 9.2 million blood donors in the U.S. in a year.
- 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate; less than 10% actually do.
- Blood cannot be made; it must be donated.
- Type O-negative blood (red cells) is always in high demand (and short supply) as it can be transfused to patients of all blood types.
- Type AB-positive plasma can be transfused to patients of all other blood types and thus is also usually in short supply.
So the most important question now is, how does one find a local blood drive in the Ventura County (as well as Greater Southern California) area? Easy! Simply visit www.redcrossblood.org/socal and enter your zip code to find a blood drive near you. You can find dozens of upcoming blood drives usually in the local area.