The marathon has an official distance of 42.195 kilometres (26 miles and 385 yards). Most of us marathoners refer to it as a 26.2 mile race. Let's put some perspective on that. We're talking roughly the distance from the Muvico Theater in Thousand Oaks to Downtown Ventura (Main St at California St).
Running USA estimates that in 2015, there were 509,000 marathon finishers in the United States, an 8% drop over the all-time high of 550,600 in 2014. That is over 13.3 million miles, not including the training miles to get there. That's a lot of running! There are over 1,100 marathons now throughout the country.
Until fairly recently, there were no marathons run on Ventura County soil. When I began running in the mid 1990s, the closest marathons to us were in Los Angeles, Santa Clarita and Culver City. Now there are marathons in Ventura, Ojai and Camarillo.
While it's fun to travel to faraway lands to run a marathon, there's something to be said for sleeping in your own bed, waking up early, and driving out to run a local marathon. So how about a rundown of local marathons within a one hour range of Ventura County!
Los Angeles Marathon (www.lamarathon.com)
- Time of Year: A Sunday usually in early to mid-March
- Course Description: The course route has changed a number of times over the years, but most recently the point to point "Stadium to the Sea" route from Dodger Stadium to the Santa Monica Pier has proved extraordinarily popular. The course takes you through sections of Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, West Los Angeles and Santa Monica. There are race day shuttles that take runners from Santa Monica to the start.
- Other Events: 5K
- Pricing: Registration starts at $195 for the 2017 event.
- Other: On a personal note, I set my personal best time on this course back in 1997. This is THE race to do if you enjoy lots of crowd support along the course.
Mountains to Beach Marathon (www.mountains2beachmarathon.com)
- Time of Year: Late May; generally last Sunday of May.
- Course Description: Point to point course that starts with a 10K loop in Ojai, then 10 miles of bike path to the Ventura oceanfront, down the Ventura Keys to Marina Park and back to the Ventura Pier. Net downhill of 700 feet makes this a fast course.
- Other Events: Half Marathon, 5K
- Pricing: 2017 event starts at $118 (includes processing fee)
Ventura Marathon (www.venturamarathon.com)
- Time of Year: The inaugural event was Sunday, September 8, 2013 and the 4th annual event took place on 9/11/16
- Course Description: This is a pancake flat course that takes you from the Ventura Pier, down Harbor Boulevard past the Ventura Harbor and Channel Islands Harbor to near the Hueneme Pier, then loops back to finish back at the Ventura Pier. The final one mile stretch is on the Ventura bike path. There were 778 finishers in 2015, down from 879 finishers in 2014, and compared to 670 in the inaugural event.
- Other Events: Half marathon, 5K, kids fun run, bike rides.
- Pricing: Pricing for 2015 event ranged from $120 to $140. depending on timing.
Santa Clarita Marathon (www.scmarathon.org)
- Time of Year: Generally run on the 1st Sunday in November
- Course Description: The course starts and finishes at the Valencia Town Center and has a number of out and back turns, mostly along bike paths. One of the more low key marathons in the area, with around 350 to 400 finishers.
- Other Events: Half marathon, 5K, Kid K
- Pricing: $80 to $100 depending on timing for the 2017 event.
Seaside Marathon (www.seasidehalf.com)
- Time of Year: Mid-February (NOTE: After the Camarillo Marathon was cancelled, a full marathon has been added to the Seaside Half Marathon event in Ventura)
- Course Description: The inaugural event in 2010 had some logistical issues but since then has been improved and the course is now a flat 2 loops in the southern, farmland portion of Camarillo. There were 111 finishers in the 2016 event.
- Other Events: Half marathon, 5K
- Pricing: Pricing for the 2017 event ranges from $95 early bird to $130.
Surfer's Point Marathon (www.surferspointmarathon.com) NEW in 2017
- Time of Year: 5th annual event to take place November 12, 2017
- Course Description: Course is along the ocean/Highway 101, starting at Promenade Park in Ventura, on bike paths and shoulder of roads. It goes out and back (the half marathon course) twice.
- Other Events: Half marathon, 5K, 10K
- Pricing: Ranges from $95 to $130 for the 2017 event.
Just a little farther but still possible to commute to if you are an early riser:
Long Beach Marathon (www.runlongbeach.com)
- Time of Year: Early to mid-October range on a Sunday
- Course Description: I've run the Long Beach Marathon several times and it is probably the most twisty, turny course I've ever run, yet it is still a reasonably flat and fast course. It starts and finishers in the heart of downtown Long Beach near Shoreline Village. There are sections along the beach, then it turns inland, up and around Cal State Long Beach, and back to the finish. Over 2,200 finishers in 2016.
- Other Events: Half marathon is hugely popular
- Pricing: Started at $110 for the 2017 race
Surf City Marathon (formerly Pacific Shoreline Marathon) (www.runsurfcity.com)
- Time of Year: Generally run on the 1st Sunday of February
- Course Description: Much of course runs on PCH, streets and bike paths in and around the Huntington Beach Pier with views of the Pacific Ocean. This race generally sells out each year with between 2,000 and 2,500 participants.
- Other Events: Half marathon
- Pricing: $149 for 2017 race
OC Marathon (www.ocmarathon.com)
- Time of Year: Generally takes place the first Sunday of May
- Course Description: The marathon starts in Newport Beach, runs past Balboa Island in kind of a figure eight-ish pattern in Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and adjacent cities. The race generally has around 2,000 participants. The race finishes at the OC Fair and Event Center.
- Other Events: Half marathon and 5K
- Pricing: 2016 event is $105
Marathons No More
Bummer, the Camarillo Marathon was cancelled for the foreseeable future effective with the previously planned January 8, 2017 event.
There was a Pasadena Marathon in recent years but organizers announced it has been cancelled.
Malibu Marathon was cancelled in 2014, though the half marathon and 5K continue on (www.malibuintmarathon.com).
The Santa Barbara International Marathon also ran its final event in 2014, though a Veterans Day Half Marathon continues. www.sbmarathon.com
Looking for marathons around the world? My favorite place to find them is www.MarathonGuide.com. They do a great job of compiling a massive amount of information strictly about marathons.
CLICK HERE for other local races...5K, 10K, half marathon, etc.
I've run over 30 marathons or so through the years and periodically babble on about my training, experiences and other random running and training related items THIS LINK.
And last but not least, here are 26.2 training tips for running your first marathon.