Popular vitamin supplement maker Airborne Health has agreed to a $23 million settlement for false advertising (such as claiming Airborne products could cure or prevent the common cold). Final approval of the settlement is expected in June.
If you purchased certain Airborne products between 5/1/01 and 11/29/07, you can file a claim for a refund. Visit www.airbornehealthsettlement.com or call 888.952.9080 for more information. Here are some highlights:
- You can file a claim for the full purchase price of products purchased, excluding sales tax, assuming you can find proof of purchase (yeah right, like I'm gonna find an old receipt for Airborne purchased at Trader Joe's on June 23, 2001).
- More realistically, you can file a claim for up to 6 purchases with proof of purchase. The refund will based on the average retail price of the products. You still need to provide an approximate purchase date and purchase location.
- You can file claims online or by mail. If you have receipts, you can either scan and submit them online or mail them in.
- You have until 9/15/08 to file your claim. If the final approval of the refund, is appealed, it may take awhile for you to get your refund (if at all).
- If total refund claims exceed the "settlement fund" ($23 million less attorneys fees and other expenses), then refunds will be reduced proportionately.
Will this $23 million settlement hurt Airborne? Nah, probably not. Last year they were No. 149 on the Inc magazine list of fastest growing private companies, with 2006 revenues of $145 million (up from $10 million in 2003). And with only 22 employees!