After 5 1/2 weeks without running a step due to doc's orders after an eye surgery, I finally started pounding the pavement again on Sunday, March 18th. The next day was followed by a head cold that I've finally fought off (knock on wood) but I've been very gradually working back into it.
At age 47, I'm finding my recovery and buildup times have grown quite a bit as compared to 20 years ago. But then again, in 20 years of running, I've never taken 5 1/2 weeks off, even for a running related injury. And this latest comeback comes on the heels of 45 days taken off after my initial eye surgeries back last October. Needless to say, my fitness level has taken a hit.
1 1/2 weeks back into running, pretty much daily, an FINALLY, this morning, my body started to oblige again. The biggest sticking point for my running after taking time off seems to be my hamstrings. They get sore easily. I'm not big into stretching but a bit of hamstring stretching off and on seemed to make them feel better. Nothing fancy. Just find a wall about hip heighth, pull one foot up and start stretching.
So at this point I have no race plans but as my fitness improves I'll start planning my next event. I'm itching to run a marathon but I'll need 4 to 6 months to train.
Speaking of marathons, the Los Angeles Marathon was also on March 18th...perhaps that was my motivation.
Over 22,000 people registered for the race and 18,881 crossed the finish line. There were 660 registrant from Ventura County and Agoura Hills and of those, 546 completed the race. The average time of all local finishers was 5 hours, 8 minutes and ranged from 3:04 to 9:57.
There were eight local finishers ages 16 and under and four 75 year old runners. The average age of all 546 runners was 40.
The winning overall times were 2:12:12 (men) and 2:25:39 (women). The top 10 fastest local Ventura County area participants by chip time were:
- Michael Conoscenti of Newbury Park in 3:04:43
- Jose Garcia of Oxnard 3:05:41
- John Wheeler of Simi Valley 3:08:35
- Ramon Hernandez of Thousand Oaks 3:09:03
- Erin Chenoweth of Ventura 3:09:55 (Top Local Female! 23rd female overall in race!)
- Levi Moellering of Moorpark 3:10:13 (He's only 17 years old! Nice job Levi! 1st place overall in his age division!)
- Golan-David Danino of Ojai 3:10:36
- Jason Griffith of Thousand Oaks 3:12:04
- Jose Lastre of Camarillo 3:15:09
- Brian Pidduck of Ojai 3:18:18
Other top 10 finishers in the age divisions included:
- Katie Tapia of Ventura 3:35:05 (9th place in 45-49 age group)
- Serafin Barajas of Thousand Oaks 3:59:45 (9th place in 65-69 age group)
- Sheila Galinsky of Camarillo 5:18:57 (9th place in 65-69 age group)
- Joe Herzog, Sr of Simi Valley 5:52:09 (10th in the 75-79 age group at age 75! This was a highly competitive age group with a winning time of 3:19:21**)
- Thomas Sullivan of Camarillo 6:17:50 (2nd in the 70-74 age group!)
- Linda Loiselle of Camarillo 7:07:11 (2nd in 55-59 age group)
**In fact, I've contacted race organizers as the 1st and 2nd place finishers in this age group appear suspect. The exact names finished the prior year event in comparable times...except their ages last year were 33, not the 77 listed in this year's event. This could just be a big coincidence...but something appears off to me.'
Congrats to all that crossed the finish line, regardless of time and place! You all accomplished something special!