Update 5/29/16: ALDI indicates at www.aldi.us/en/new-to-aldi/grand-openings/grand-openings/simi-valley-ca that the grand opening will be June 16 but an Open House event will take place from 11am to 4pm on Sunday, June 12 where you can check things out but not but not purchase items...yet. Grand opening events 6/16 to 6/19 include free samples, special drawings and free re-usable bags. Store hours are 9am to 9pm and location is 425-A E. Cochran Street, Simi Valley.
German grocery chain ALDI will be opening a store in early 2016 at the former Office Depot location at the Simi at the Plaza shopping center in Simi Valley.
ALDI operates nearly 1,400 U.S. stores in 32 states, primarily from Kansas to the East Coast. The chain sells over 1,300 of the most frequently purchased grocery and household items under its own brands. It opened its first U.S. store in 1976.
In June, ALDI announced it will launch its first Southern California stores in March 2016, with a plan to open approximately 25 stores before July 2016. With regional headquarters and warehouse in Moreno Valley, ALDI indicates it will employ over 1,100 Southern Californians by the end of 2016.
In its press release, ALDI indicated it will offer starting wages of $13/hour for store associates, up to $21/hour for long-standing associates. Employees will average 33 to 40 hours per week and will be eligible for full benefits, including health insurance, dental coverage and 401(k) plan.
To apply for a job at ALDI, visit aldistorejobs.com.
More on the California grand opening of ALDI at www.aldi.us/en/new-to-aldi/california-grand-opening.
More about ALDI:
- Based in Germany with almost 10,000 stores in 18 countries.
- Founded by brothers Karl and Theo Albrecht in 1946 after taking over their father's store that had operated since 1913.
- ALDI is an abbreviation for ALbrecht DIskont (i.e. Discount)
- ALDI operates under two divisions, Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. Aldi Sud operates the U.S. ALDI stores. Aldi Nord owns the Trader Joe's chain.
- Yes, Aldi Nord bought the Trader Joe's chain in 1979. The first Trader Joe's store opened in 1967 in Pasadena.
- ALDI is one of the world's largest privately-owned companies.
Note 1: "AldiWorldwideLogo" by Source. Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia