The Camarillo Ranch House is a 3-story, 14 room, 6,000 square foot Victorian home built by Adolfo Camarillo in 1892. Adolfo is the son of Juan Camarillo, who purchased the land in 1866. Adolfo operated the ranch from the time of Juan's death in 1880 until 1948. Adolfo's name proliferates in Camarillo and the local high school was named after him after he gave 50 acres of land for that use.
The 4.5 acre ranch was given to the City of Camarillo by the Centex Company in 1997. Today the property includes the house, a historic red barn and a stable. In 2001, the City of Camarillo completed a $1.5 million restoration of the beautiful home to exhibit what it looked like during the 1914 to 1930 time frame. The Camarillo Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
The Camarillo Ranch is open to the public 7 days a week, 9am-5pm, unless there is holiday or special event. There is no charge to visit the property and walk the grounds during normal hours. The gardens have interpretive signs and there are also picnic benches available for use at lunchtime.
Docent-led tours of the house are currently (as of January 2016) offered on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (last tour starts at 2 p.m.). Donation of $5 per visitor is requested.
The property is used for many special events and can be reserved for private events like weddings and receptions.