Harold's House of Omelettes opened its doors to the hungry citizens of Thousand Oaks, before Thousand Oaks was even a city of its own, on January 19, 1961. Harold's has the distinction as the oldest restaurant in the Conejo Valley - a distinction previously held by Lupe's Mexican Restaurant, which originated in 1947 and closed in August 2016.
Harold's is located at 2440 E. Thousand Oaks Boulevard in the Camelot Plaza, directly across from Thousand Oaks Toyota, and has been there for some time.
The eatery was originated by its namesake, Harold Warner, who was born in Green Bay, moved to the west coast in 1949, where he became a chef at Du-pars restaurant at Hollywood and Vine. He moved to Thousand Oaks to work at the new Du-par's Thousand Oaks. Instead of that, he opened Harold's House of Omelettes and was the chef until the late 1990s.
Here's a photo from the Thousand Oaks Library "Conejo Through the Lens" collection of Harold's at its original location next to the Green Lantern Tavern at 1938 Thousand Oaks Boulevard (now occupied by Enhanced Landscape Management).
Harold's, also known as Herald's Restaurant, serves much more than omelettes (though there are 51 omelette varieties on its menu). Its menu includes hot cakes, crepes, waffles, Mexican breakfast and lunch specialties, breakfast burritos, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, soups and more.
To learn more, visit www.eatatharolds.com. Open daily from 6am to 3pm.