Veterans Day is celebrated as a Federal holiday on the 11th day November 11th, in honor of those who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the end of World War I, which formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when Armistice with Germany took effect.
Here are some local Veterans Day 2016 service options to honor those who have served our country:
- Reagan Library Veterans Day Event 10am to 3pm
- Veterans Day Observance in Moorpark at 10am
- Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony in Oxnard at 10am
- Veterans Day Services in Malibu at 11am
- Veterans Day Services at Rancho Tapo Community Park in Simi Valley at 11am
- Veterans Day Ceremony at Conejo Creek Park North in Thousand Oaks at 11am
- Westlake Village Symphony free Veterans Day concert at 7:30pm
A sampling of free Veterans Day offers for Active Military and Veterans with ID:
- Free entree at BJ's Restaurant
- Free entree at CPK
- Free meal at Applebee's
- Free slice of pie at Carrows
- Tall (11 oz) hot brewed coffee at Starbucks
- Free entree at Hooters
- Free stack of red, white and blue pancakes at IHOP 7am to 7pm
- Free "Build Your Own Grand Slam" at Denny's 5am to noon
- Free donut at Krispy Kreme
The following is courtesy of professional photographer Scott Harrison (www.harrysonpics.com):
Vietnam veteran David Stull stands guard while supporting a flagpole carrying the American flag at the Garden of Valor at Valley Oaks Memorial Park in Westlake Village. This was one of three 30 minute shifts he stood guard. November 1984 photo by Scott Harrison/The News Chronicle
Back in the 1980s, Conejo Valley residents would observe a 24-hour vigil during the Veterans Day holiday. I took photos several times, but this 1984 photo at dusk remains my favorite. The current full name of Valley Oaks is Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks Memorial Park. The flame is still burning at the Garden of Valor.