How about a new New Year's resolution for 2009! Resolve to dedicate some time towards a local organization that needs your help. Not only does it feel good to help others, but it helps broaden your horizons. And with the lousy economy, many people need your help. Or if you are one of those many people who is between jobs, giving time to those in need looks great on your resume.
So to summarize:
- Volunteering makes you feel good.
- Feeling good about yourself benefits all aspects of your life.
- There are many organizations and people who need your support.
- Volunteering is a great resume builder. You may even learn new, marketable skills as a volunteer!
Here on Conejo Valley Guide we have compiled an extensive, growing list of local volunteer and support organizations based in the Conejo Valley and Greater Ventura County area. Click here to see the list and to click through to their websites.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ventura County - Improves the lives of children by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring.
- Cancer Hope Foundation - Enhances the lives of people affected by cancer.
- Cancer Support Community Valley/Ventura/Santa Barbara - Helps people with cancer and their loved ones through a large variety of programs.
- Community Action Network of the Conejo Valley - Dedicated towards reducing the accessibility of alcohol, drugs and tobacco to kids in the Conejo Valley.
- Foodshare - Houses and distributes millions of pounds of food per year to the hungry of Ventura County.
- HomeAid: Los Angeles/Ventura Counties - Provides housing for the temporary homeless and partners with care professionals to aid in their support
- Laubach Literacy of Ventura County - Trains/supports volunteers who tutor adults seeking to learn English.
- Ventura County RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) - Connects volunteers ages 55+ with service opportunities that match their skills!
- Senior Concerns - Provides programs, services and support to the elderly in Ventura County.
- Surfrider Foundation Ventura County - Dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world's oceans, waves, and beaches for all people.