The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Program is a refundable tax credit available to individuals and families earning less than $53,505 in 2016. This is the federal government's largest anti-poverty measure and refunds can amount to as much as $6,269 (for 2016) for families with three or more qualifying children.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program recruits volunteer tax preparers as well as interpreters, screeners, and greeters and to provide free preparation of federal and state income tax returns to taxpayers with low incomes earning less than $53,000 in 2016. VITA benefits these taxpayers by eliminating the cost of commercial tax return preparation and by securing valuable tax credits such as the Child Tax Credit and EITC.
Local VITA location sites are as follows (see this IRS link for details, including dates and times):
- Moorpark: Catholic Charities, 612 Spring Road, #101
- Ventura: Housing Authority, 234 W. Vince Street
- Ventura: Job & Career Center, 4651 Telephone Road, 2nd Floor
- Oxnard: Housing Authority, 1500 Colonia Road
- Simi Valley: East County Job & Career Center, 980 Enchanted Way, #105
- Oxnard: West Oxnard Job & Career Center, 635 S. Ventura Road
- Oxnard: El Centrito Family Learning Center, 450 South K Street, Room 114
- Santa Paula: Santa Clara Valley Neighborhood for Learning, 217 N. 10th Street
- Camarillo: Surepath Financial Services, 80 N. Wood Road, #200
- Thousand Oaks: Many Mansions, 2726 E. Hillcrest Drive
- Fillmore: Fillmore Community Service Center, 828 Ventura Street, #200
Please bring the following:
- Social Security card for each family member or ITIN number for the working adult
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked during the year
- All 1099 forms for other income
- Child care provider information: name, address, and Tax ID (if available)
- Picture I.D. for each adult filing
- For direct deposit of refund - bank routing and account number or cancelled check
VITA locations above are open January 30th to April 15th, 2017.
Additionally, Conejo Senior Volunteer Program (CSVP) is offering free tax preparation services for seniors 60 years of age or older (any income level) or persons with an income of $53,000 or less, regardless of age. This service is taking place on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 8:30am-4:00pm at the Conejo Creek South Community Room: 1350 E. Janss Rd., Thousand Oaks, and Wednesdays, 8:30am-4:00pm at the Newbury Park Library, 2331 Borchard Rd., Newbury Park. There are no appointments taken; first-come, first-served. Call the CSVP office at (805) 381-2742 for more information.