“Soil Sisters” by Keri Oberly Opens at the Ag Museum on Friday, September 23
Documentary photographer and filmmaker captures women in agriculture throughout Ventura County with intimate, stunning portraits
The photographic exhibition “Soil Sisters” by photographer and filmmaker Keri Oberly began as a project documenting women working in careers traditionally dominated by males. It quickly turned into a photography project on female farmers. With the large number of women in agriculture in Ventura County, there was no shortage of subjects. There are 18 portraits of women representing farms and ranches in Ojai, Camarillo, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks and Fillmore.
Ms. Oberly realized these women were not just defying odds in the fields, but doing so in life as well—from leaving steady jobs, to taking over a family business, to being saved from a life on the streets. They don’t treat farming as a job; it is their way of life. She learned that her subjects are passionate, strong and artistic women who are dedicated to health and education, as well as building and inspiring their communities in a way that will last generations.
The opening reception is from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the Ag Museum of Friday, September 23.
About the Artist
Keri Oberly specializes in documentary photography and film. She’s passionate about telling stories of unrecognized and under-represented people in society, from people living openly with HIV in rural Tanzania to four wrongly convicted men who were recently released after serving 18 years in prison.
“Soil Sisters” will be on display from Sept. 23 through January 22 at the Museum of Ventura County Agricultural Museum, 926 Railroad Ave., Santa Paula. To learn more about the artist, visit KeriOberly.com.
The exhibition includes photos of these local women farmers:
- Emily Thacher Ayala, Friend’s Ranch, Ojai
- Angela Schultz, Community Roots Garden in Oxnard, part of The Abundant Table, Camarillo
- Erynn Smith, The Abundant Table, Camarillo
- Reyna Ortega, The Abundant Table, Camarillo
- Jeannette Ban, The Abundant Table, Camarillo
- Carol Wade, Earth Island Herbs, Ojai
- Grace Malloy, Poco Farm, Ojai
- Nitana Buczek-Calfee, Poco Farm, Ojai
- Megan Hooker, Poco Farm, Ojai
- Shawn Fulbright, Mano Farm, Ojai
- Elizabeth Del Negro, Rio Gozo Farm, Ojai
- Anne Cuthbert, Noble Oaks Vineyard & Winery, Ojai
- Alana King and Kai Krupa, King & King Ranch, Fillmore
- Erin Regan, Kefirology, Ojai
- Danette McReynolds, Lavenderwood Farm, Thousand Oaks
- Molly Chester, Apricot Lane Farms, Moorpark
- Nicole Ulibarri, Morris Honey Company, Ojai
- Adrianne Cruz, Ranch Manager at Latigo Ranch Hawaii, California Division, Moorpark