The Ronald Reagan Centennial is quickly approaching! These past few months have been exciting as a number of partnerships and programs have taken shape. Meanwhile, through the generosity of Centennial presenting sponsor, GE, throughout 2010 the "Traveling Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum Exhibit" brought artifacts and stories from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library to cities across America including Long Beach, Chicago, Atlanta, New York City, Boston and Houston.
President Reagan often said, "America's best days lie ahead." As representatives of America's next generation of great leaders, the Ronald Reagan Centennial National Youth Leadership Committee embodies that same optimism, representing the future with anticipation and promise. If you haven't done so yet, visit our website to read the profiles from the National Youth Leadership Committee. Some members participated in a podcast series with Reagan Centennial partner, and non-profit promoter of free markets, Sam Adams Alliance. These podcasts can be found here, or on iTunes. Additionally, in January of 2011 many of the student leaders on the Committee will be featured in their college or university newspaper.
Visit the Centennial website ( www.reagancentennial.com) for the most recent Calendar of Events and other Centennial updates. In particular, here are upcoming dates to keep in mind in 2011:
- January 1: Ronald Reagan Centennial float in the Tournament of Roses Parade
- January: Ronald Reagan civics based curriculum announced for use by schools nationally
- February 5 & 6: Live webcasts of President Reagan's Centennial birthday celebration
- February 7: Grand re-opening to the public of the greatly enhanced and renovated Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
- February 10: Ronald Reagan Centennial Postage Stamp issued by the United States Postal Service
- February: Academic Symposia with University of Southern California, University of Virginia, University of Notre Dame, followed by the United States Naval Academy next fall
- March 12: The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation, Wall Street Journal, and Manhattan Institute conference in New Your City titled, "Supply Side Economics: Reagan's Leadership Then and Now"
- March 27: Partnership with the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana for the NASCAR Auto Club 500
- May: Select Major League Baseball teams will honor the Reagan Centennial during a home game
For the third year in row, the Rose Parade Viewers' Choice Award will allow Rose Parade fans to choose their favorite float by voting online and via text message. On January 1st be sure to vote for the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation float #52 and ensure Ronald Reagan's place in Rose Parade history!