Anyone breathing should know about this by now...the 405 Freeway will be shut down for 53 hours beginning midnight Friday, July 15th until 5 a.m. on Monday, July 18th. The section being shut down is northbound 405 from the I-10 to the 101 and the southbound 405 from the 101 to Getty Center Drive.
Many have called this Carmageddon! Oh come now, I call it the Sepulveda No-Pass Project.
We drove from Thousand Oaks to Long Beach the other day and there were numerous electronic signs reminding us of this upcoming closure.
In a nutshell, the 10 mile stretch of the I-405 from the I-10 (Santa Monica Freeway) and U.S. 101 (Ventura Freeway) is being widened to accomodate another lane and as part of this process the Sunset Boulevard, Skirball Center and Mulholland Drive overpasses must be updated. When all is said and done, the freeway will be wider, traffic should flow better and the bridges/overpasses will be updated to allow for this widening along with the latest seismic improvements.
The first step is to demolish the south section of the Mulholland bridge on July 16-17. This will be followed by 11 months of rebuilding, then the north portion will be demolished and rebuilt over the following 11 months. The name of this project is the I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project.
Now just because Los Angeles County will be in Motor Misery that weekend doesn't mean we have to join them. Here WERE the Top 12 Things to Do in Ventura County on Sepulveda No-Pass Weekend:
- Visit the really cool Math Midway in Thousand Oaks with your kids.
- See Taming of the Shrew performed live at the Kingsmen Shakespeare Festival at Cal Lutheran.
- Cool off at the Casitas Water Adventure at Lake Casitas.
- See jazz ensemble Don Randi and Quest at the Thousand Oaks Library
- Check out the 16th Annual Ventura County In-Water Boat Show and Green Expo at Channel Islands Harbor all weekend.
- Bounce off the walls at Sky High Sports - The Trampoline Place.
- Pucker up for the 44th Annual Santa Paula Citrus Festival all weekend long.
- Cool off in Downtown Ventura for the "Splash" Local Beach Culture exhibit at the Museum of Ventura County.
- Bring your drums to the Redbird's Children of Many Colors Native American Powwow at Moorpark College.
- See premier Billy Joel tribute act "Joel the Band" play live and FREE at Conejo Community Park in Thousand Oaks on Sunday.
- Support local charity Conejo Valley Cares at its Conejo Country Nights 3 fundraiser/concert!
- Stop by Open Borders in Thousand Oaks to see epic guitarist Lee Ritenour!