The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Program is a refundable tax credit available to individuals and families earning less than $53,000 in 2014. This is the federal government's largest anti-poverty measure and refunds can amount to as much as $6,143 for families with three or more qualifying children.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) recruits volunteer tax preparers as well as interpreters, screeners, and greeters and offers free preparation of federal and state income tax returns to taxpayers with low incomes earning less than $53,000 in 2014. VITA benefits these taxpayers by eliminating the cost of commercial tax return preparation and by securing valuable tax credits such as the Child Tax Credit and EITC.
Local VITA location sites are as follows, courtesy of the Ventura County United Way:
- Moorpark: Catholic Charities, 612 Spring Road, #101
- Ventura: Housing Authority, 234 W. Vince Street
- Ventura: Job & Career Center, 4651 Telephone Road, 2nd Floor
- Oxnard: Housing Authority, 1500 Colonia Road
- Simi Valley: East County Job & Career Center, 980 Enchanted Way, #105
- Oxnard: West Oxnard Job & Career Center, 635 S. Ventura Road
- Oxnard: El Centrito Family Learning Center, 450 South K Street, Room 114
- Santa Paula: Santa Clara Valley Neighborhood for Learning, 217 N. 10th Street
- Camarillo: Surepath Financial Services, 80 N. Wood Road, #200
- Thousand Oaks: Many Mansions,2726 E. Hillcrest Drive
- Fillmore: Fillmore Community Service Center, 828 Ventura Street, #200
Please bring the following:
- Social Security card for each family member or ITIN number for the working adult
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2014
- All 1099 forms for other income
- Child care provider information: name, address, and Tax ID (if available)
- Picture I.D. for each adult filing
- For direct deposit of refund - bank routing and account number or cancelled check
VITA locations above are open January 31st to April 11th. Please call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment.
Other VITA locations in the Ventura County area listed by the IRS at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Find-a-Location-for-Free-Tax-Prep.
Additionally, volunteer tax preparers from the Conejo Senior Volunteer Program (CSVP) will provide free income tax preparation for seniors age 60 and over and for anyone (regardless of age) who has an income of $50,000 or less. CSVP is sponsored by Conejo Recreation and Park District. Volunteers are certified and trained by the IRS. Hours 9:00 am – 2:00 pm on Wednesdays at the Newbury Park Library and from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at the Conejo Creek South Community Room (new location this year), 1350 E. Janss Road, Thousand Oaks. Appointments are not needed and service is first come, first served.
Participants need to bring the following items: photo ID, Social Security card, Social Security benefits statement, wage and earning statements, property tax bill, interest and dividend statements, cost of stocks and bonds and date bought and sold, copy of last year’s federal and state return, bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit and other relevant information about income and expenses. Participants are not to bring rental or profit or loss from business statements as this service is not provided (business returns only provided for sole proprietors if there is a profit and expenses are under $10,000). For more information, call the CSVP office at (805) 381-2742.