The Ventura River Trail is a 6.3 mile asphalt pedestrian and bike path that follows the old Southern Pacific Railroad right-of-way from Main Street in Ventura to Foster Park inland towards Ojai. The path, originally opened in 1999, connects the Ojai Valley Trail to the Omer Rains Trail along the beachfront for 17 miles of great bicycling. The trail is open dawn to dusk.
Much of the Ventura River Trail parallels Ojai Freeway 33 and as such is also referred to as the Ojai Valley Trail Extension. Here are the various access points from south to north:
- Dubbers Street at Rex Street
- West Park Row Avenue
- West Harrison Ave at Westpark Center
- Stanley Avenue
- Shoshone Street
- Shell Road
- Orchard Drive
- Crooked Palm Road at Highway 33 Underpass
- Ojai Valley Waste Water Treatment Plant Access Road
- North Ventura Avenue at Hwy. 33
- Santa Ana Road at entrance to Foster Park
More information at www.cityofventura.net/pw/parks.